For this Valentine's Day, I have been on the search to find desserts that I love and enjoy, and put a cleaner, healthier twist on them. I can't lie, my weakness is my sweet tooth! But... I am not a fan of the sugar crash that typically happens after my sweet tooth kicks in. Plus, I’m always looking for ways to add in a little extra protein and super foods, and to always add in certain DoTerra essential oils while cooking!
My most recent venture: Banana Muffins! These gluten-free, dairy free, refined sugar free little guys are full of taste, flavor, fluff, AND clean ingredients. There is even an option to make this recipe completely vegan. The best part about this recipe? It goes perfect with a cup of coffee in the morning, or can double as a dessert at night!
1 cup almond flour + ½ cup (for topping)
1 cup Buckwheat Flour (this is gluten free)
1-2 scoops Vital Proteins Unflavored Collagen Powder (you can use any brand this one just works for me)**optional**
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
1 Genergous Pinch of Himalayan Sea Salt
2 Tablespoons Cacao Nibs
2 eggs (**can use flax eggs if you like, 2 flax eggs**)
¼ cup Coconut Milk Yogurt
2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Applesauce
¼ cup Coconut Sugar
1/3 cup Unsweetened Nut Milk (I used almond)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Drop DoTerra Ginger Essential Oil
½- 1/3 Thinly Sliced Banana
1/2 thinly sliced banana *optional*
½ cup almond flour
¼ cup coconut sugar
2 Tablespoons melted Coconut Oil
1) Mix all dry ingredients (just 1 cup of the almond flour) together and set aside.
2) If you are making a flax egg, stir up the flax and water and set aside.
3) Mix all wet ingredients together.
4) Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. Hand mix in the ½ Banana.
5) In a separate bowl mix together all of the toppings ingredients except the banana.
6) Preheat the oven to 375 F.
7) Line a greased cupcake tin and fill each one ½ of the way full.
8) Add a generous topping to each cupcake. If you’d like add one thin slice of a banana to the top of each muffin.
9) Bake for 20-22 minutes. Cool. Enjoy! Snap a pic and tag @lindsey_g_yogi so I can see your creations!